Media and Civil Rights
- Obtained substantial settlements on behalf of children brutalized while in state foster care, including one case in which the children’s foster fathers severely beat them and held them as sex slaves and another case in which the foster father asphyxiated his foster son.
- Vindicated, in the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, federal constitutional rights of children physically abused by their biological father.
- Successfully challenged municipality’s placement of a Ten Commandments Monument on the front lawn of its City Hall.
- Successfully sued under Inspection of Public Records Act to obtain access to applications for medical-marijuana producer licenses.
- Authored amicus curiae briefs in United States Supreme Court cases involving same-sex marriage and transgender rights.
- Helped defend local daily newspapers against antitrust suit filed by suburban weekly.
- Acted as local counsel in defense of libel actions brought against nationwide publications by Aretha Franklin, Carl Wilson, Carolyn Condit and others.
- Advised various media clients, including daily newspaper, local television station, and alternative weekly publication, on first amendment issues.
- Successfully negotiated significant revisions to Michigan municipality’s anti-solicitation ordinance on behalf of a religious organization engaged in door-to-door proselytizing activities.