Water is our most important natural resource in New Mexico.
Attorneys in the Water Rights practice group represent a broad spectrum of clients, including municipal, natural resources, renewable energy, industrial, agricultural, residential, developmental, governmental and institutional interests.
Our attorneys have extensive experience in virtually all aspects of water rights law, including:
- Applications and proceedings before the New Mexico State Engineer for change of place and purpose of use and point of diversion of existing water rights
- Applications and proceedings before the New Mexico State Engineer for new permits to appropriate water for beneficial use
- Court proceedings including adjudications, relating to water rights
- Negotiations and agreements relating to water rights, including those for the purchase, sale or lease of water rights and the use of water rights as collateral
- Plan of replacement proceedings before the State Engineer
- Rule-making proceedings before the State Engineer and other agencies proposing rules affecting water rights