Mr. Vigil served as the President and Managing Director of the firm from 2006 until October 2019. He is a past President of the State Bar of New Mexico, and currently serves on the American Bar Association Board of Governors. Mr. Vigil practices in the Litigation Department in the areas of labor and employment law, commercial litigation, insurance coverage/bad faith, medical malpractice and lawyer professional liability. He has jury and non-jury trial experience in both the state and federal courts, including the trials of breach of contract, Family and Medical Leave Act, disability, retaliation, Title VII, Unfair Practices Act and legal malpractice cases. Mr. Vigil has presented oral argument in the New Mexico Supreme Court and the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals. Mr. Vigil advises and consults with insurers on issues in New Mexico relating to insurance coverage, including commercial and personal lines policies. Mr. Vigil has experience teaching seminars in employment law and wrongful termination. Mr. Vigil also advises and consults with personnel managers regarding issues of discipline, discharge, compliance with state and federal employment laws, including occupational health and safety laws, and the preparation and revision of personnel handbooks. Mr. Vigil is an adjunct professor of law at the University of New Mexico Law School teaching Legal Ethics. Additionally, Mr. Vigil regularly represents clients before the New Mexico Disciplinary Board.
In August of 2018, Mr. Vigil received the Justice Pamela B. Minzner Professionalism Award from the State Bar of New Mexico. The award, named for the late Pamela B. Minzner, New Mexico Supreme Court Justice, is the highest award given by the State Bar. Mr. Vigil received the award in recognition of his outstanding professional conduct over many years of practice and for his involvement in the Albuquerque and national legal community.
In March of 2013, the University of Michigan Law School presented Mr. Vigil with the J.T. Canales Distinguished Alumni Award. The J.T. Canales Award honors an University of Michigan Law School alum who has made a significant contribution to empowering the Latino community and who serves as a role model for the next generation of Latino lawyers and leaders.
In June of 2010, Mr. Vigil received the Isaac Hecht Law Client Protection Award from The National Client Protection Organization for excellence in the field of law client protection.
In July of 2007, Mr. Vigil received the Distinguished Bar Service Award from the State Bar of New Mexico. The award was presented to Mr. Vigil in recognition of his long and valuable service to the State Bar over a significant period of time and for his long-term commitment to State Bar services and his significant contributions to the legal profession.
Mr. Vigil is a co-author of the New Mexico Employment Law Desk Reference – Second Edition, Rodey Law Firm © 2013.
- Past President, Board of Bar Commissioners, State Bar of New Mexico (2005)
- Member, New Mexico Board of Bar Commissioners (1999-2006)
- Co-Chair, New Mexico Commission on Professionalism (2005)
- Chair, New Mexico Client Protection Fund Commission (2006, 2010)
- Member, New Mexico Client Protection Fund Commission (2006-2015)
- Member, New Mexico Commission on Racial and Ethnic Diversity
- Member, New Mexico Hispanic Bar Association
- Board of Directors, New Mexico Hispanic Bar Association (2011-2013)
- Member, Executive Council, National Conference of Bar Presidents (2005-2008) and Chair of Diversity Committee (2007-2008)
- American Bar Association (Labor Law Section)
- American Bar Association, Board of Governors (2019 – 2022)
- American Bar Association – Standing Committee on Lawyers’ Professional Liability (2005-2008 and 2011-2014)
- American Bar Association – Standing Committee on Client Protection (2008-2011)
- State Bar of New Mexico Delegate to American Bar Association House of Delegates (2006-2013)
- Albuquerque Bar Association
- New Mexico State Delegate to the American Bar Association (2013-present)
- H. Vearle Payne American Inn of Court (1999-2002)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America for his experience and expertise in Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Product Liability Litigation-Defendants and Professional Malpractice Law-Defendants
- Named Albuquerque Product Liability Litigation – Defendants Lawyer of the Year-2022 by Best Lawyers in America
- Named Albuquerque Professional Malpractice Law-Defendants Lawyer of the Year-2018 by Best Lawyers in America
- Named Albuquerque Professional Malpractice Law-Defendants Lawyer of the Year-2015 by Best Lawyers in America
- Listed in Chambers & Partners-America’s Leading Lawyers for Business for his experience and expertise in Labor and Employment Law
- Listed in Southwest Super Lawyers for his expertise and experience in Employment and Labor Law
- The 2018 and 2019 editions of Southwest Super Lawyers named Mr. Vigil to the list of the Top 25 Lawyers in New Mexico.
- New Mexico Business Weekly’s Best of the Bar – 2009
- Has achieved highest Martindale-Hubbell rating
- University of Michigan Law School (J.D., 1989)
- University of New Mexico (B.B.A., 1986)