Mr. Ricco is a director in the Albuquerque office. He has practiced with Rodey since completing a judicial clerkship in 1981.
Mr. Ricco concentrates his practice in appellate law. He has handled appeals in the state and federal courts in a wide variety of legal areas, including civil rights, constitutional law, antitrust, commercial law, torts, administrative law, intellectual property, utility regulation, water law, workers’ compensation and other subjects. Mr. Ricco has briefed more than 175 appeals and presented oral argument more than 40 times in the New Mexico appellate courts and the Tenth Circuit. Since 2004, Mr. Ricco has been a fellow of the American Academy of Appellate Lawyers.
Mr. Ricco’s practice also includes complex litigation at the trial court level and the representation of hospitals and other institutional health care providers. He has achieved the highest Martindale-Hubbell rating.
Mr. Ricco is a co-author of the New Mexico practice chapter of the Appellate Practice Compendium, published by the American Bar Association Council of Appellate Lawyers, 2012, and of Q&A on Civil Appeals in New Mexico, published on-line by Practical Law, 2017 (updated periodically).
- New Mexico Supreme Court Committee on Rules of Appellate Procedure (1999-2004, 2007-2012)
- New Mexico Supreme Court Committee on Uniform Jury Instructions for Civil Cases (1986-1998, 2020-present)
- Appellate Practice Specialty Committee (1997-2005)
- State Bar of New Mexico (Appellate Practice Section; Health Law Section)
- American Bar Association (Section of Litigation, Appellate Practice Committee; Council of Appellate Lawyers; Health Law Section)
- Adjunct Professor of Law, University of New Mexico School of Law
- University of New Mexico (J.D., magna cum laude, 1980
- Columbia University (M.A. 1973)
- Stevens Institute of Technology (B.S., magna cum laude, 1971)
- Mr. Ricco is a Fellow in the American Academy of Appellate Lawyers. Membership in AAAL is by invitation only and is peer reviewed and approved.
- Mr. Ricco is a recipient of the University of New Mexico School of Law Distinguished Achievement Award (2014).
- Mr. Ricco is listed in Chambers-USA – America’s Leading Lawyers for Business for his experience and expertise in General Commercial Litigation.
- Mr. Ricco is listed in The Best Lawyers in America for his experience and expertise in Appellate Law, Commercial Litigation, and Health Care Law.
- Mr. Ricco was named Albuquerque Health Care Law Lawyer of the Year-2014 by Best Lawyers in America.
- Mr. Ricco was named Albuquerque Appellate Practice Lawyer of the Year-2012 by Best Lawyers in America.
- Mr. Ricco has been listed annually in Southwest Super Lawyers since 2007 for his expertise and experience in appellate practice. In 2007, 2009 and 2010 and 2014 – 2022, he is listed as one of the Top 25 Lawyers in New Mexico.
- Mr. Ricco is listed in Benchmark Litigation – The Definitive Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms & Attorneys for his expertise and experience in appellate law.